Answers for Jan. 15, 2022, Quiz
1. True or false: The impact of an asteroid only 200 meters wide would wipe out almost every living thing on Earth.
False. For an asteroid to wipe out most everything on Earth, it would have to be massive; scientists estimate it would take an asteroid about 7 to 8 miles (11 to 12 kilometers) wide crashing into the Earth.
2. What food item is forgotten the most by DoorDash drivers?
- Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory
- Sodas from McDonald's
- Breadsticks from Domino's Pizza
- Fries from Burger King
Before the pandemic, the food item forgotten the most on DoorDash was cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory. At the restaurant, baggers kept the cold cheesecake separate from hot items, but then forgot to hand it to the delivery driver.
3. True or false: If an individual is subpoenaed to produce documents for the courts that they do not have, they are not obligated to create them or procure them if they are out of their possession.
True. A named individual (responder) is only obligated to produce documents that exist and are already under his/her custody and control ( source).
4. True or false: An object's velocity takes into consideration its vector (directionality). For example, running one circular lap of 400 meters in two minutes would yield a velocity of 0.
True. Velocity is a "vector quantity," velocity incorporates both magnitude and direction. On the other hand, speed is a "scalar quantity," a phenomenon that deals with magnitude — but not direction.
5. How long did it take 67-year-old Emma Gatewood to walk the Appalachian Trail, the longest walk-only footpath in the world, in 1955?
- 36 days
- 146 days
- 329 days
Gatewood's hike was notable because of her advanced age, and because she was the first woman ever to complete the trail in a single season.