Writing for HowStuffWorks
Above all, we are looking for authors who exhibit exceptional writing and research ability. We look for generalists as well as writers who have knowledge and expertise in one or more of the many fields we cover on the site. Authors should also be able to:
- understand complex subjects and break them down for a general audience
- contribute entirely original, previously unpublished work
- finish assignments in a timely manner (typically two weeks from assignment to completion)
- adapt to the HowStuffWorks voice and article structure
HowStuffWorks does not accept unsolicited articles. Please send only samples of previous writing. If we decide to try you out as a writer, we will give you an article assignment. If we decide to accept your submission, we will pay you for the article. All work is work for hire, and all authors must sign a freelance agreement before they begin work.
If you are interested in writing for HowStuffWorks, e-mail your résumé and writing samples to freelance at howstuffworks dot com.
Here are the basic guidelines for submissions:
- Title the e-mail "Freelance Writer: [Areas of Expertise]." If you do not use this title, your e-mail will not be retrieved from our spam filter should it get caught there.
- In the body of the e-mail, include a cover letter that explains your qualifications and why you are interested in writing for HowStuffWorks.
- Include a résumé and two relevant samples -- you can include them in the body of the e-mail, as attachments or as links to Web pages.
- If possible, include a mix of published writing samples and unpublished writing samples (work that has not been through an editor). Send nonfiction samples that demonstrate your ability to explain complex subjects. Please do not send fiction or poetry.
- If sending attachments, use .pdf, .doc, .docx, .rtf or .txt format.
Because we receive a high volume of submissions, we are not able to respond to every submission we receive. Expect a delay before you hear back from us, but be assured that if you have followed our submission guidelines, we will be keeping your information on file for current and future openings.
We look forward to hearing from you!