- Freelance Writers: Apply to Write for HowStuffWorks.com
- Content Manager
- Video Animator
- Video Producer
Content Manager: Special Projects
The content manager: special projects manages content creation, from brainstorming to final approval, for special projects at HowStuffWorks, particularly for text content created on behalf of or in conjunction with clients. The content manager:
- Manages the intake process to determine clients’ needs in terms of scope, tone, delivery, timelines and process
- Brainstorms articles, lists, quizzes and other text content that will meet the needs of both HowStuffWorks’ clients and those clients’ target audiences
- Reviews and synthesizes style guides and other direction provided by clients to disseminate to writers, editors and producers
- Ensures the finished product conforms to the clients’ direction and exceeds their expectations for quality
- Attends face-to-face, phone and video conferencing meetings with clients to brainstorm, prepare content plans, receive feedback, etc.
- Manages the editorial calendar for writers and editors and ensures that all created assets are delivered on time
- Reviews all created content to ensure consistency, quality and demonstration of the clients’ preferences and needs
- Provides feedback to writers and editors on quality of work and adherence to the clients’ style and standards
- Manages the revision/change process based on client feedback
- Coordinates between HowStuffWorks departments and the client on delivery of artwork, videos, audio podcasts, and other assets
- Writes or edits content as needed
Candidates should have:
- At least 3 years of experience managing freelance writers and editors
- At least 5 years of experience writing and editing
- A degree in English, journalism, or digital media
- Experience doing agency work a plus
- Experience in home, auto, severe weather, or insurance a plus
To apply, send a resume and cover letter, with the cover letter in the body of the email, to jobs at howstuffworks dot com. Title the email, "Content Manager." No phone calls or office visits, please.
HowStuffWorks is seeking a video animator.
- Read scripts and storylines to understand animation requirements
- Prepare presentations with raw designs
- Develop storyboards for the initial stages of production
- Join images with background graphics and special effects
- Ensure synchronization of frames and audio
- Participate in editing process
- Collaborate with production crew
- Proven experience as animator
- Experience in project management
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, including After Effects and Premiere
- Comfortable working with deadlines and budget restrictions
- Teamwork and excellent communication skills
- Degree in computer animation, 3D/graphic design, fine arts or relevant field
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to jobs at howstuffworks dot com. Title the email, "Video Animator." Include a link to a reel or website with samples of your work.
HowStuffWorks is seeking a video producer.
Studio Production: Works in collaboration with production and other staff staff to produce a variety of video products for broadcast, compression output, webcasting, video streaming, and digital distribution; plans and directs assigned studio productions; oversees operation of small multi-camera studio and portable live studio setups; operates video cameras, hard disk video recorders, and audio mixers; sets up and adjusts studio lighting equipment including fixed and portable lights; adjusts audio equipment including assorted lavalier, cardiod and shotgun microphones; provides limited troubleshooting of video, audio and lighting equipment; performs routine equipment maintenance; researches trends and makes recommendations to department for software and equipment purchases.
Field Production In cooperation with other staff, coordinates pre-production and production planning activities; communicates technical information; conducts field-based video production which involves interacting with talent and operating all portable video and audio equipment; transports and sets up lighting and audio equipment as required; provides limited troubleshooting and maintenance of field production equipment.
Post-Production Plans and performs video post-production tasks which includes reviewing footage, making editorial decisions, video transcoding, rough cuts, audio adjustment, color correction, and final editing using Adobe Creative Suite software; utilizes computer graphics and special effects for video post-production in accordance with the overall production concepts; compresses video projects for output; captures recorded video using software and encode media as appropriate; makes video products available in a variety of formats including streaming media files; publishes, organizes, and optimizes media on third party platforms including YouTube, Facebook, other social media platforms, and Amazon.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to jobs at howstuffworks dot com. Title the email, "Video Producer." Include a link to your reel or a website with samples of your work.
About HowStuffWorks, Inc.
Founded in 1998, HowStuffWorks is an award-winning website that is home to thousands of articles, podcasts and videos that explain how the world really works. The site receives nearly 40 million unique visitors and 10 million podcast downloads per month. HowStuffWorks.com is headquartered in Atlanta, GA, and is a division of InfoSpace LLC.