HOWSTUFFWORKS.COM/STUFF YOU SHOULD KNOW
T-SHIRT DESIGN CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
OFFERED ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (“U.S.”), AGED 18 YEARS OR OLDER.
1. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal U.S. residents who are 18 years of age and older at time of entry and have Internet access as of May 31, 2010. Employees, officers and directors of Discovery Communications, LLC (the "Sponsor"), its subsidiaries, affiliates, TV production partners, participating cable providers including local ad sales systems, participating local advertisers, advertising agencies, promotional suppliers and the immediate family members (spouses, siblings, children and parents, regardless of where they live) or members of the same households (whether related or not) of such employees, officers and directors (collectively, “Contest Entities”) are not eligible. All applicable federal, state, and local laws apply. Void in Puerto Rico and where prohibited or restricted by law.
2. CONTEST ENTRY DATES: The HowStuffWorks.com T-shirt Design Contest (“Contest”) begins at 12:01 AM Eastern Time (“ET”) May 10, 2010 and ends at 12:00 AM ET on May 31, 2010 (the “Contest Period”).
4. SELECTION OF POTENTIAL WINNERS AND PRIZES: On or about May 31, 2010, the hosts of the “Stuff You Should Know” podcast, Josh Clark and Chuck Bryant (“Judging Panel”) will select five Grand Prize (5) winning entries from the total number of entries. The entry will be scored based on the following criteria:
- Originality: 33%
- Creativity: 33%
- Design: 34%
In the event of a tie, the winning entry will be determined by the highest score from amongst the tied entries in “Design.” On or about June 14, 2010, Sponsor will announce the five (5) Grand Prize winners of the Contest. The winner will be notified via email (via the current email address associated with selected winner’s online registration form) phone, postal mail and/or express mail, at Sponsor's discretion. Sponsors shall have no liability for any winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by a potential winner for any reason.
Each Grand Prize consists of the following:
- One (1) $100 Discovery Channel Store Gift Certificate (“ARV”) $100.00
- One (1) T-shirt signed by the hosts of the “Stuff You Should Know” podcast featuring the winner’s design
- A minimum of one (1) on air mention on the “Stuff You Should Know” podcast
All prizes are non-transferable, and no substitutions will be made.
5. GENERAL: All taxes on prizes and all expenses related to acceptance and use of prizes and not specified are sole responsibility of the Grand Prize winners. Each Grand Prize winner acknowledges that no compensation or royalties are owed to Grand Prize winner related to the sale of the winning T-shirt design. Grand Prize winner grants Contest Entities the exclusive right to use the winning design in any manner throughout the world in perpetuity. No transfer or cash redemption. No prize substitution, in whole or in part, except by Sponsor due to prize unavailability, safety or security considerations, or any other reason as solely determined by Sponsor in which case a prize of comparable or greater value will be awarded. Grand Prize winners will be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility, a liability release and (where legal) a publicity release, which must be returned within 10 days of attempted notification or an alternate winner may be selected. If a winner is 18 or older, as is required for entry, but not of the age of majority in state of residence, prize will either be awarded in the name of parent or legal guardian, or parent or legal guardian must ratify and sign any and all documents required of winner. Inability to contact a winner or the return of any prize notification as undeliverable will result in the prize being forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. Odds of winning will be determined by the number of eligible entries received for each drawing. By participating, entrants agree [a] to these rules and decisions of, which shall be final in all respects relating to this Contest; [b] to release, discharge and hold harmless Contest Entities, its subsidiaries, affiliates, TV production partners, participating cable providers including local ad sales systems, participating local advertisers, advertising agencies, promotional and prize suppliers, and their respective directors, officers and employees (together, “Releasees”) from any and all injuries, liability, losses and damages of any kind resulting from their participation in the Contest or their acceptance, use or misuse of prize including, without limitation, personal injury, death and property damage; and if a winner, [c] to the use of his or her name and/or photograph for advertising, publicity and promotional purposes in all media, including but not limited to on air and within www.howstuffworks.com without compensation (unless prohibited by law) and agree to execute specific consent to such use upon request. Releasees are not responsible for and shall not be liable for: [a] any telecast, cable or telephone malfunctions, human error, satellite transmission failures, or delayed telecasts or preemption of or the failure of a cable affiliate to televise Discovery Channel or any affiliated Sponsor network in all or any parts of the United States; [b] electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet, or computer malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind, including without limitation, server malfunction or for any human, typographical, printing or other error relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors which may occur in the administration of the Contest, processing of entries; the announcement of the prize or in any Contest–related materials, [c] failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions; [d] late, lost, misdirected or incomplete entries or postage-due mail; [d] damage to entrants' or any person's computer or the contents thereof; [e] any condition caused by events that may cause the Contest to be disrupted or corrupted; or [f] any damage to prizes during shipping or delivery. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest if fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sponsor's reasonable control impairs the integrity of the Contest (or portion thereof), as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and limit entries to those submitted prior to the action taken, or to proceed in such a manner as may be deemed fair and equitable by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. In the event of a dispute as to any registration or play, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register will be deemed to be the registrant or player. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, Internet service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Potential winners may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder and/or proof of employment by a cable or satellite operator. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or the Web site on which the Contest may be accessed; to be acting in violation of the Official Rules; to be acting in violation of the terms of the Web site, or to be acting in a non-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Internet entry must be made by the entrant only at an authorized web site address. Entries may not be made by any other individual or any entity, and/or originating at any other Internet website or e-mail address, including but not limited to commercial Contest subscription notification and/or entering service sites. Any winner who enters by any of the methods described above will be disqualified and an alternate winner selected. Use of any device to automate entry is prohibited. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entry at any time in the event it is determined that the entrant has not complied with these Official Rules. This Contest is governed by the laws of the State of Maryland, with jurisdiction and venue in Montgomery County, Maryland, and all claims must be resolved in the courts of Montgomery County, Maryland.
6. INDEMMNITY: Entrant shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless Contest Entities and each of their respective parents, affiliates, successors, assigns and licensees, and each of their respective employees, shareholders, officers, directors, contractors, agents and from and against any and all liability, claims, loss, damage, injury or expense, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising out of or in connection with any third party action arising out of or resulting from (i) entrant’s participation in the Contest, (ii) a breach or allegation which if true would constitute a breach of any of entrant’s representations, warranties or obligations herein, and/or (iii) acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any grant or prize, including without limitation, personal injury, death and property damage arising there from.
8. WINNER LIST: For a list of winners, mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope to be received by June 5, 2010, to: The HowStuffWorks.com T-shirt Design Contest Winner, c/o Samantha Adorno, HowStuffWorks.com, One Capital City Plaza, 3350 Peachtree Rd, Suite 1500, Atlanta, GA 30326.
SPONSOR: Discovery Communications, LLC, One Discovery Place, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
©2009 Discovery Communications, LLC. All rights reserved.